It's for this reason -- your benefit, that when I want to share a link to a newly written Canadian Press story that's on the wire, or when I have cobbled together a new blog post, I will usually Tweet it multiple times, at varying times of the day, and over a couple day span. It's not to spam your timeline and annoy you but is intended merely as a courtesy to those non hard-core Twitter users who otherwise may not know I've written a new Calgary Flames story that you may be interested to read.
Because during the summer, the likeliness of missing stories only increases further due to vacation, I'm taking this opportunity -- with 2013-14 training camp nearly upon us, to pull together in one spot, a tidy recap of all the best and still relevant Flames posts from the past few months in cased you missed any of them. This will get you fired up for the upcoming season which gets underway for Calgary officially on Oct. 3 when they open the season in Washington against Mikhail Grabovski and the Capitals.
Thanks for reading and be sure to follow me at @DarrenHaynes_CP so you'll be the first to know whenever new stories are posted.
12 Calgary Flames Articles You May Have Missed
- North America, Take One - Recounting Karri Ramo's First Attempt at the NHL - You may have forgotten but Ramo's already spent parts of three seasons in the NHL. As he prepares to give the NHL another try, here's my in-depth look at his adventurous first attempt including his a scrap in his second game, a suspension and his most unusual initial goaltending tandem. Read it now.
- Eleven Candidates to Lead the Flames in Scoring in 2013-14 - My breakdown of the 11 players that could lead the Calgary in scoring in 2013-14 -- which includes David Jones, who averaged over 27 goals per 82 games during the three seasons prior to last year, and my take on why ten of them won't. Read it now.
- TJ Brodie Signing is a Win-Win for Everyone - Even if two years from now, Brodie signs for seven years and $38-million, the Flames are still further ahead than paying him $28-million over seven years today. I demonstrate why there's (nearly) no chance not signing Brodie long term will come back to haunt Calgary. Read it now.
- Calgary Flames All-Time Best Player Names - In honour of Pekka Rautakallio's 60th birthday, I had a little fun by going back over the years and coming up with a 23-man roster consisting only of the most interesting and unusual player names that have played for Calgary. It included a player who has more letters in his last name than minutes played in his three-game stint with the Flames. Read it now.
- Opportunity Knocks for Roman Horak - He began last year the hottest player on the planet notching 10 goals in his first nine games. This year he's ditched No. 51 for a new "more mature" jersey number. Horak says he wants to be a top six forward some day and as he looks ahead to 2013-14 -- and considering he's a centre, he may not get a better opportunity. Read it now.
- Zero Downside, 79 Inches of Upside - My Take on Chris Breen - On the heels of the signing of Breen to a one-year contract, I offer ten thoughts on why it was a great signing -- and I guarantee there are at least 2-3 points listed that you hadn't thought of. Read it now.
- Granlund, Culkin Among Five Standouts from Scrimmage No. 2 - The second of two scrimmages at the Calgary Flames development camp saw a handful of players raise their stock including Finnish centre Markus Granlund and QMJHL defenceman Ryan Culkin. What I liked about them and three others that caught my eye. Read it now.
- Gaudreau Excited About his Future and the Flames Future Too - He played on a line with Sean Monahan, he posed for pictures with young fans. As crafty Johnny Gaudreau soaked up his experience at Flames development camp, he explained to me why he's going back to school, he talked about where he's at size-wise and where he wants to get, and he hinted at possibly joining the Flames by the end of the 2013-14 season. Read it now.
- Brossoit Shows He Has Plenty of Game - His WHL career began at age 15, now he's 20. Laurent Brossoit says he's ready for the next level and he showed that with two outstanding outings at the Flames development camp. As a sixth round pick, this draft day steal talked about Calgary's goaltending situation and the amazing opportunity lying ahead with Miikka Kiprusoff likely retired. Read it now.
- Dozen Thoughts From Flames Development Camp Scrimmage No. 1 - It was high intensity, heavy hitting, and the best collection of talent the Flames have ever assembled for a development camp scrimmage. Played before a packed house at WinSport, my look at the prospects that stood out along with other musings from that first scrimmage back in July. Read it now.
- The Flames Roller-Coaster 2013 Draft - What a super fun afternoon that Sunday was in New Jersey as the biggest draft day in Calgary Flames history played itself out. Included were moments of elation, heartbreak, and confusion as fans hung on and enjoyed what was an absolutely wild, exhilarating and fascinating ride. Read it now.
- Ten Biggest Days in Franchise History - So where does the 2013 NHL Entry Draft rank in terms of the most significant days in Calgary Flames history? For now, I've got it at No. 5 but that will inevitably change depending on how it ultimately turns out. Can you name the four days I ranked above this past draft as even bigger moments? Give it a thought then check out the answer -- according to me, anyway. Read it now.