However, as has been the case the entire time they have found themselves in this position, they could be back on the outside in no time as the defending Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings trail Calgary by only two points.
Fans of the Flames have been riding an emotional roller coaster all season and with 19 days to go in the regular season, there are no indications that this harrowing ride will come to an end anytime soon. Instead, tighten up that seatbelt as the speed and intensity is about to go up even more.
15 Signs You're a Flames Fan Caught up in the Playoff Race:
15. You've already been to the bottle depot four times this month.
14. You wake up in the middle of the night thinking about Deryk Engelland.
13. Everywhere you look -- the price of gas (95.9), the FM station you're listening to (96.9), what you actually see is the projected point total Calgary will need to make the playoffs.
12. You've cancelled your weekend camping reservations for all of May.
11. You couldn't care less about Connor McDavid.
10. You're looking forward to watching the Minnesota Wild play on a Tuesday.
9. You spend more time on NHL GameCenter than on Facebook.
8. You've replaced the Nieuwendyk name bar on your No. 25 Flames jersey with Bollig.
7. Your lotto 649 numbers this week are 4, 7, 13, 17, 23, 24
6. You can't remember your wedding anniversary but without hesitation can recite the remaining schedules for the Kings, Jets, Wild and Canucks.
5. You're agitated, emotionally unstable, sleep deprived and your nerves are shot... and that's the good news.
4. The last five entries in your Google search history are:
- Torn biceps tendon recovery time
- Kingston Frontenacs playoff schedule
- Hotels near Rogers Arena
- Where to buy a fire helmet
- Has Devan Dubnyk ever had the mumps
3. You're cheering for the Edmonton Oilers.
(Flames intro song, circa 2004 playoffs)
Recent Related Flames Reading
- Johnny Gaudreau: Making a Case for the Best Flames Rookie Season Ever - In terms of points, Johnny Gaudreau is having the best season by a Calgary rookie in 25 years. But dig deeper and a case could be made that Gaudreau is having as good of a rookie season, and maybe even better than Joe Nieuwendyk when the Flames great scored 51 goals in 1987-88.
- Eight from 80 Feet: Sean Monahan Edition - How impressive has Sean Monahan's sophomore season been? I put his year into a number of different contexts -- vs 2013 draft class, top 10 picks lately with least goal variance in jump from major junior to the NHL, best sophomore season, comparison to Joe Nieuwendyk. Spoiler Alert - It's darn impressive.
- Who Cares What the Analytics Say! Five Reasons to Just Enjoy the Ride - Winning games the Flames have no business winning is driving the advanced stats extremists crazy. Don't get hung up on what the analytics say, here are five reasons why Calgary's advanced stats need not concern you at this time.
- The Schlemko: Flames Win Again and in the most Calgary Way Imaginable - A playful look at that special moment Thursday night in Boston that turned NHL journeyman defenceman David Schlemko into a cult hero.
- Eight from 80 Feet: Trade Deadline Edition - Final thoughts on Sven Baertschi, the 411 on the four recall rule, and some neat thoughts directly from Brad Treliving on how much more comfortable he felt making moves at the deadline compared to when he first arrived last year and was faced with making a trade at the deadline and some summer signings.