With my impromptu podcast debut last week seemingly well received, despite the fact I didn't have anything resembling proper equipment nor did I have much of a plan or any know-how, the trial continues this week with episode two.
Addressing the number one piece of constructive criticism from episode one, I used much better technology this time as I got together with Sportsnet960 Radio's Rob Kerr and we used his broadcast-caliber gear. Meanwhile, I've ordered a Blue Yeti microphone that will arrive this week.
I will say that having Mr. Kerr as a co-host did make for a different and better dynamic than a solo flight. How I will proceed moving forward -- same co-host, rotation of co-hosts, no co-host, some combination of those options -- is something I haven't yet decided.
Rare photo of @DarrenWHaynes recording his podcast with Rusty the engineer. pic.twitter.com/jB1Lp3O7RY— Rob Kerr (@FAN960RKerr) July 19, 2016
A few things remain a work in progress.
For one, there's a couple audio things that I'm still learning and working through. One is trying to level off the volume so the music doesn't come on so loud in comparison to the dialogue. That said, consider those periodic interludes of music to be alarms to jar you back awake! After all, it is 90 minutes long.
Also, there is a way to export the MP3 file so the voices are more consistent and not so left vs. right separated. But I have to figure out how to do that still. Living and learning, truly.
FYI: I fixed music-dialogue volume disparity. Also converted file to mono. Lower quality but L-R audio now the same. https://t.co/qbmWYS5EZQ— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) July 20, 2016
Heeding some audiophile advice, remixed this one last time. Quality, sound level, L/R balance... this is the keeper. https://t.co/imdOfEOPJd— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) July 21, 2016
Secondly, it seems a little long. Turns out that the two of us can really ramble as when all was said and done, nearly 90 minutes had come off the clock -- more than twice as long as I had intended. As they say, time flies when you're having fun.
It seemed most of you were good with last week's episode length of 45 minutes but doubling that seems like a lot to ask. Not sure how exactly one goes about consuming a podcast of this length but I'll leave that up to you to figure out. In instalments? Bluetooth it through your car radio?
Rob did show me the list of podcasts he listens to regularly and they're all in and around the same length of 90 minutes or so with some as long as two-plus hours. So maybe it's not that big of a deal.
Thirdly, I've still got some work (and learning and reading...) to do in order to understand how to get this thing to the point where it can be found on iTunes and all the various podcast listening software and applications you use. But we'll get there eventually -- hang in there!
On that now, enjoy our respective takes as we begin with the goaltending, examine the defence and then close with a review of the forwards in this look-ahead to what the Flames line-up could look like when Calgary opens the regular season in Edmonton on October 12.
Download (or Stream) the Podcast from SoundCloud
Like always, I welcome and look forward to your feedback.
- What is Taking So Long? Spitballing Theories For Why 13 and 23 Remain Unsigned - Nobody knows for sure what the hold up is in contract negotiations with Johnny and Monahan. However, I did come up with awhole bunch of theories for you to mull over. (July 18, 2016)
- Heat Exchange: Taking a Closer Look at Stockton's Overhauled 2016-17 Roster - With development camp is in the books, time to plot out what Stockton's line-up could look like. As you'll see, there are still some holes to fill on what will be a very young team. (July 16, 2016)
- FF80F Podcast: Development Camp Recap and Answers to Reader Questions - As an experiment, I recorded a podcast. Before buying proper equipment, I wanted to test the waters and see if there was an appetite for one. Turns out, people loved the content. (July 11, 2016)
- On Philly Radio, Gaudreau Talks Contract and Idea of Playing Closer to Home - Johnny Gaudreau dropped by a Philadelphia sports radio station to promote his upcoming golf tournament. He also talked some hockey with Al Morganti and Keith Jones. (July 8, 2016)
- Dev Camp 2016: Eetu Tuulola, the Finnish Milan Lucic, Steals Show in Scrimmage - Final day featured a scrimmage and July or not, there were some impressive performances. Also, the GM shared some candid thoughts on Rasmus Andersson's conditioning. (July 7, 2016)