As a result, my recurring Monday morning Flames segment on Sportsnet960 Radio is now on hiatus.
However, my sense and you confirmed as much last night when I asked the question on social media, is that your appetite for hockey talk has not gone on hiatus, despite us being in the throes of summer.
As it's July, my Monday 9:05 am Flames chat on SN960 is going on hiatus. If I do something podcast-like in interim, would you be interested?— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) July 11, 2016
Given your thirst for year-round hockey talk, thought I'd attempt an experiment this week and try producing my own version of Monday morning Flames talk.
I am hesitant to officially call it a podcast as I honestly haven't put that much thought into the plethora of logistics yet -- format, content, length, proper technology (Mic? Never needed one of those before), co-host (I have had talks with a couple people including a Sportsnet960 personality), where and how to host it, etc. -- but because I did want to do a final wrap on development camp anyway, I figured why wait. Let's just dive into the deep end solo and cobble together something and see if there's an appetite for more. After all, that is exactly how the blog got started in April 2013.
To borrow a hockey analogy, I feel like I'm on a professional try-out (PTO) with this format. Fully prepared to be cut, but hoping to impress enough to get a contract offer, even if it's a two-way.
Unveiling the Pilot of the FF80F Podcast
First, a couple disclaimers. For one, this is all new terrain for me. How I actually pulled it off using only the technology already at my fingertips is a minor miracle. And I think it turned out not bad all things considered.
Secondly, for regular Monday listeners, this is twice the length -- call this a work-in-progress. Will aim for a little less rambling next time. A co-host will help.
I've broken the podcast into four segments:
- Dev Camp Recap, Part 1 - Overview of camp and a closer look at the defence
- Dev Camp Recap, Part 2 - Closer look at the goaltenders and forwards
- Reader Questions - Answering a few questions submitted by readers
Listen (or download) the podcast now
As noted, this came together very quickly, think less than 12 hours from when the idea was hatched last night and most of that time was spent sleeping.
If you do have comments on how it turned out, ways to improve, format suggestions, I would love to hear from you. You can leave a message below or send me a note via email, Facebook or Twitter.
Enjoy and as always, thanks for reading -- and listening.
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Go there and do so now. It's just another way to be alerted to new Calgary Flames articles that I've written.
- On Philly Sports Radio, Gaudreau Talks Contract and Idea of Playing Closer to Home - Johnny Gaudreau dropped by a Philadelphia sports radio station to promote his upcoming golf tournament. He also talked some hockey with Al Morganti and Keith Jones. (July 8, 2016)
- Dev Camp 2016: Eetu Tuulola, the Finnish Milan Lucic, Steals Show in Scrimmage - Final day of camp featured a scrimmage and July or not, some pretty impressive performances. Also, the GM shared some candid thoughts on Rasmus Andersson's conditioning. (July 7, 2016)
- Dev Camp 2016: A Check-in on Day 2 Plus Gulutzan Unveils the Rest of his Staff - Eight takeaways from day 2 on the ice including David Rittich impressing everyone, Matthew Phillips' tie to Dave Lowry, and more on NY-born defenceman Adam Fox. (July 6, 2016)
- Dev Camp 2016: Lots of Physicality as Prospects Hit the Ice for the First Time - Eight observations from rinkside including Jon Gillies finally pain free, Brett Pollock settles into his new team, the local kids, and non-stop punishment from Adam Ollas Mattsson. (July 5, 2016)
- Dev Camp 2016: Eight Prospects to Watch - A primer on development camp -- who is attending, who isn't, etc. Also, eight prospects I'll be keeping an eye, a list that includes first rounder Matthew Tkachuk and diminutive Calgary kid Matthew Phillips. (July 3, 2016)