Fire the coach, start over with the special teams... all those refrains are out there from frustrated Flames fans as for the second season in a row, Calgary has gotten off to a slow start.
On Friday morning, after the latest loss, a 4-2 decision to the Dallas Stars, PostMedia beat writer Wes Gilbertson joined me in the Saddledome press box, aka makeshift sound studio, and we tackled the topics that have fans fuming.
- Glen Gulutzan, what he's going through and his future in question
- What ails the special teams and how to snap out of it
- Reflecting on the Nicklas Grossmann experiment
- The Pacific Division and are playoff chances realistic
- We also answered these reader/listener questions submitted to Facebook
Catching up On What You've Missed
- Episode 7 - On Oct. 30, Kristen Odland from PostMedia stopped by and we looked back on a roller-coaster month of October. We also discussed Glen Gulutzan's unique coaching methods.
- Episode 6 - On Sept. 20, before leaving the rookie tournament in Penticton, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and we discussed which prospects stood out and also who didn't. Includes some great insight into who Matthew Tkachuk is off the ice and his background.
- Episode 5 - On August 28, PostMedia sportswriter and longtime Flames beat reporter Scott Cruickshank stopped by to look ahead to the season as well as reminisce about the 2004 Stanley Cup run and what it was like to cover that series both home and away.
- Episode 4 - On August 14, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and provided a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes with the Flames -- on the charter, etc. Other topics included who will play RW on the top line, who will benefit the most from the new coach.
- Episode 3 - On August 5, I connected with Mr. Kerr again, this time to dig into a variety of other off-season topics like the Gaudreau/Monahan contract 'stalemate', Troy Brouwer and expansion.
- Episode 2 - In the more technically-sound second episode (thanks to Rob Kerr's audio equipment) on July 19, Rob joined me as co-host and we debated the Flames season-opening roster.
- Episode 1 - In the July 11 impromptu pilot, featuring zero technology, I recapped development camp. This was was a solo effort with sub-part technology but fresh on the heels of the prospects being in town, lots of good stuff discussed.
We'll have another podcast out later in November. Will the outlook be brighter or will the skies still be cloudy. We'll have to see. Thanks for listening.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Too Early for Final Judgment: 5 Reasons for Fans to not Give Up Hope Quite Yet - Well things may look hopeless and maybe the Flames are who they are, there are compelling reasons in which it's too early to wave the white flag. (Nov. 8, 2016)
- Five Sunday Morning Musings Between the SoCal Back-to-Backs - Reflections on a 5-0 spanking to Los Angeles, which was arguably the second worst loss in team history. Also, time for Nicklas Grossmann to be put on waivers. (Nov. 6, 2016)
- Wild 22.8 Second Ride: Gritty Shift for Stajan Preserves Win, Showcases Value - A fun look at the final shift of the game for Stajan as some furious defending helped Flames emerge a 3-2 winner in San Jose. Plus a feature on the man himself. (Nov. 4, 2016)
- Things That Make You go Hmmm: Eight Intriguing Numbers Through 10 Games - Reflecting on the month of October, here are some eye-popping numbers that reveal some of the good, the bad and the ugly from the Flames first three weeks. (Nov. 1, 2016)