The World Junior Championships are nearly upon us and as a primer, NHL.com's Aaron Vickers was my guest on the latest podcast. Vickers is the Calgary correspondent for NHL.com and he is also the brains behind top notch prospect website/publication Future Considerations.
- Aaron talks about how his website's renowned draft lottery simulator came about
- We have in in-depth discussion about the five Flames prospects at the World Juniors - Dillon Dube, Tyler Parsons, Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington and Pavel Karnaukhov
- We revisit and assess the NHL Drafts from 2011 to 2016 from a Calgary perspective
- We answered all of these reader/listener questions that were submitted to Facebook
This is the fourth one done during the season. While initially I had concerns about how long each podcast would remain relevant, the insight my guests have brought and the manner in which we're tackling topics still make them worthwhile listens long after after they're recorded.
- Episode 9 (1:10:36) - On Dec. 5, Jermain Franklin joined me for some Flames talk. In addition to sharing some stories about life at TSN, Flames topics broached included Chad Johnson, are the red-hot Flames for real and first-third surprises and disappointments.
- Episode 8 (1:04:49) - On Nov. 12, it was time for Wes Gilbertson from PostMedia to have his say. We talked some more about the coach, special teams, Nik Grossmann and various hot topics.
- Episode 7 (1:01:01) - On Oct. 30, Kristen Odland from PostMedia stopped by and we looked back on a roller-coaster month of October. We also discussed Glen Gulutzan's unique coaching methods.
- Episode 6 (58:27) - On Sept. 20, before leaving the rookie tournament in Penticton, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and we discussed which prospects stood out and also who didn't. Includes some great insight into who Matthew Tkachuk is off the ice and his background.
- Episode 5 (1:08:24) - On Aug. 28, longtime Flames beat reporter Scott Cruickshank from PostMedia stopped by to look ahead to the season as well as reminisce about the 2004 Stanley Cup run and what it was like to cover that series both home and away.
- Episode 4 (1:30:59) - On Aug. 14, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and provided a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes with the Flames -- on the charter, etc. Other topics included who will play RW on the top line, who will benefit the most from the new coach.
- Episode 3 (1:34:01) - On Aug. 5, I connected with Rob Kerr again, this time to dig into a variety of other off-season topics like the Gaudreau/Monahan contract 'stalemate', Troy Brouwer and expansion.
- Episode 2 (1:28:43) - On July 19 in a more technically-sound second episode (thanks to the use of actual broadcast-quality audio equipment), Rob Kerr joined me as co-host and we debated the Flames season-opening roster.
- Episode 1 (48:04) - In the July 11 impromptu pilot, featuring zero technology, I recapped development camp. This was was a solo effort with sub-part technology but fresh on the heels of the prospects being in town, lots of good stuff discussed.
Have you enjoyed the podcasts so far? Please stop by iTunes and rate the podcast as I understand this will make it easier to find for newcomers. Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Go there and do so now. It's just another way to be alerted to new Calgary Flames articles that I've written.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Not the Solution, But Beats the Alternatives: My Perspective on Garnet Hathaway - For a fourth line player that plays 8-10 minutes per night, Hathaway always seems to make an impact. In fact, Calgary is 12-3-1 in games in which he plays. (December, 21, 2016)
- Picking up the Pieces: Goaltending Much Better After Being Blown Up - Determined to get better and deeper, Flames moved on from five goalies with NHL experience last summer and brought in five replacements -- and it's worked. (December 19, 2016)
- Eight From 80 Feet: Eight Reasons Behind the Flames Stunning Turnaround - It was the furthest thing from the Sweet 16. More so, it was the Sour 16. But it's been followed by a phenomenal run that has the Flames back in contention. What gives? (December 9, 2016)
- FF80F Podcast: Episode 9 - With Flames Heating Up, Jermain Franklin Stopped By - You'll enjoy this visit with TSN's longtime Calgary correspondent, who shares some TSN stories and also weighs in with his thoughts on all the Flames hot topics. (December 5, 2016)