I really enjoyed my visit with Peter Loubardias, who was my guest on the latest podcast. All Flames fans should be familiar with 'Loubo', who is the colour commentator on Calgary's radio broadcasts. Additionally, he can be heard at noon MT on Sportsnet960's Hockey Central and on the pre-game show prior to every game.
Rather than tackle the day-to-day, which tends to change day-by-day, I got into a few more general topics with my guest.
- A passionate sports fan, Peter shared his three favourite hockey memories and it's awesome.
- He also shared some insights into Glen Gulutzan, who has a half-season under his belt.
- We debated the struggles lately for both Sam Bennett and Johnny Gaudreau
- A huge junior hockey aficionado, I picked his brain on skilled but tiny Matthew Phillips.
- The evolution of the fourth line in the NHL. Where are we at and where are we headed.
- We answered most of these reader/listener questions that were submitted to Facebook
This is the fifth one done during the season. While initially I had concerns about how long each podcast would remain relevant, the insight my guests have brought and the manner in which we're tackling topics still make them worthwhile listens long after after they're recorded.
- Episode 10 (1:11:40) - On Dec. 23, Aaron Vickers made his way up to my Saddledome studio. Vickers is the brains behind prospect publication Future Considerations and also covers the Flames for NHL.com. We chatted lots bout Calgary prospects at the WJC.
- Episode 9 (1:10:36) - On Dec. 5, Jermain Franklin joined me for some Flames talk. In addition to sharing some stories about life at TSN, Flames topics broached included Chad Johnson, are the red-hot Flames for real and first-third surprises and disappointments.
- Episode 8 (1:04:49) - On Nov. 12, it was time for Wes Gilbertson from PostMedia to have his say. We talked some more about the coach, special teams, Nik Grossmann and various hot topics.
- Episode 7 (1:01:01) - On Oct. 30, Kristen Odland from PostMedia stopped by and we looked back on a roller-coaster month of October. We also discussed Glen Gulutzan's unique coaching methods.
- Episode 6 (58:27) - On Sept. 20, before leaving the rookie tournament in Penticton, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and we discussed which prospects stood out and also who didn't. Includes some great insight into who Matthew Tkachuk is off the ice and his background.
- Episode 5 (1:08:24) - On Aug. 28, longtime Flames beat reporter Scott Cruickshank from PostMedia stopped by to look ahead to the season as well as reminisce about the 2004 Stanley Cup run and what it was like to cover that series both home and away.
- Episode 4 (1:30:59) - On Aug. 14, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and provided a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes with the Flames -- on the charter, etc. Other topics included who will play RW on the top line, who will benefit the most from the new coach.
- Episode 3 (1:34:01) - On Aug. 5, I connected with Rob Kerr again, this time to dig into a variety of other off-season topics like the Gaudreau/Monahan contract 'stalemate', Troy Brouwer and expansion.
- Episode 2 (1:28:43) - On July 19 in a more technically-sound second episode (thanks to the use of actual broadcast-quality audio equipment), Rob Kerr joined me as co-host and we debated the Flames season-opening roster.
- Episode 1 (48:04) - In the July 11 impromptu pilot, featuring zero technology, I recapped development camp. This was was a solo effort with sub-part technology but fresh on the heels of the prospects being in town, lots of good stuff discussed.
Have you enjoyed the podcasts so far? Please stop by iTunes and rate the podcast as I understand this will make it easier to find for newcomers. Thanks for listening.
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Go there and do so now. It's just another way to be alerted to new Calgary Flames articles that I've written.
Recent Flames Reading:
Unveiling the 50 Greatest Players in Calgary Flames History - The NHL unveiled its 100 greatest players on Friday. I decided to do a similar exercise for the Flames, but I took it a step further. Doing what the NHL should have done, I put them in an order. (January, 28, 2017)
- Anatomy of a Rant: Line-by-Line Dissection of Mount St. Gulutzan's Volcanic Eruption - Glen Gulutzan finally snapped after another lifeless effort in Montreal that made it four straight ugly losses. Here's context/background to each of his scathing remarks. (January 25, 2017)
- Fixing the Flames: Five Adjustments I'd be Tempted to Try - I put on my coaches hat and share with you five line-up changes I would make immediately to try and turn around Calgary's fortunes. Spoiler alert: Includes breaking up the 3M line. Sorry. (January 22, 2017)
- Meaningful Battle of Alberta: Saturday is First One in Nearly Eight Years - On the eve of Flames-Oilers games on consecutive nights that actually matter, I take a nostalgic stroll back to the last time they played this late in the years and the games mattered. (January 14, 2017)
- Calder Darkhorse: Wake up and Recognize Tkachuk's Impactful Rookie Season - While winning the Rookie of the Year is an extreme longshot for Matthew Tkachuk, could he be one of the three finalists? Possibly and here is my supporting argument. (January 12, 2017)