PostMedia beat writer Kristen Odland, a bit weary having just returned from the Flames hectic road trip out East -- and a bad travel day trying to get back from Pittsburgh -- stopped by to catch up on what's new with the team and also dig into some of the things that are top of mind for fans.
- The Flames trip to Central Park.
- Dennis Wideman's struggles and what to make of that situation.
- With eight games to go until the trade deadline, what does Calgary need and who might be on the move.
- How might the Vegas expansion draft impact Calgary and have any of the names changed in terms of who they might protect..
- Digging in a little deeper on my recently unveiled and always popular midseason edition of the Top 20 Flames Prospects rankings.
- We answered some of these reader/listener questions that were submitted to Facebook (and some of the others were answered in the other segments.)
This is the sixth one done during the season. While initially I had concerns about how long each podcast would remain relevant, the insight my guests have brought and the manner in which we're tackling topics still make them worthwhile listens long after after they're recorded.
- Episode 11 (1:11:40) - On Jan. 30 with the NHL at the all-star break, Flames radio colour analyst Peter Loubardias popped by. He peeled back the onion a little on Glen Gulutzan, we theorized what's wrong with Gaudreau and Bennett, and discussed the evolution of 4th lines.
- Episode 10 (1:23:00) - On Dec. 23, Aaron Vickers made his way up to my Saddledome studio. Vickers is the brains behind prospect publication Future Considerations and also covers the Flames for NHL.com. We chatted lots bout Calgary prospects at the WJC.
- Episode 9 (1:10:36) - On Dec. 5, Jermain Franklin joined me for some Flames talk. In addition to sharing some stories about life at TSN, Flames topics broached included Chad Johnson, are the red-hot Flames for real and first-third surprises and disappointments.
- Episode 8 (1:04:49) - On Nov. 12, it was time for Wes Gilbertson from PostMedia to have his say. We talked some more about the coach, special teams, Nik Grossmann and various hot topics.
- Episode 7 (1:01:01) - On Oct. 30, Kristen Odland from PostMedia stopped by and we looked back on a roller-coaster month of October. We also discussed Glen Gulutzan's unique coaching methods.
- Episode 6 (58:27) - On Sept. 20, before leaving the rookie tournament in Penticton, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and we discussed which prospects stood out and also who didn't. Includes some great insight into who Matthew Tkachuk is off the ice and his background.
- Episode 5 (1:08:24) - On Aug. 28, longtime Flames beat reporter Scott Cruickshank from PostMedia stopped by to look ahead to the season as well as reminisce about the 2004 Stanley Cup run and what it was like to cover that series both home and away.
- Episode 4 (1:30:59) - On Aug. 14, Ryan Leslie from Flames TV stopped by and provided a glimpse into what goes on behind the scenes with the Flames -- on the charter, etc. Other topics included who will play RW on the top line, who will benefit the most from the new coach.
- Episode 3 (1:34:01) - On Aug. 5, I connected with Rob Kerr again, this time to dig into a variety of other off-season topics like the Gaudreau/Monahan contract 'stalemate', Troy Brouwer and expansion.
- Episode 2 (1:28:43) - On July 19 in a more technically-sound second episode (thanks to the use of actual broadcast-quality audio equipment), Rob Kerr joined me as co-host and we debated the Flames season-opening roster.
- Episode 1 (48:04) - In the July 11 impromptu pilot, featuring zero technology, I recapped development camp. This was was a solo effort with sub-part technology but fresh on the heels of the prospects being in town, lots of good stuff discussed.
Have you enjoyed the podcasts so far? Please stop by iTunes and rate the podcast as I understand this will make it easier to find for newcomers. Thanks for listening.
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new Calgary stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues I enjoyed and I'll also sometimes use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Ranking the Calgary Flames Top 20 Prospects (February 2017 Edition) - Matthew Tkachuk has graduated from top spot so who is the Flames new No. 1 prospect? Well, there's actually been a few changes to the top of the list. (February 9, 2017)
- Footloose and Fancy Free: Brodie Brilliant in Time Spent Away From Regular Partner - He hasn't looked quite right all season but it was vintage TJ Brodie on Friday night as he assisted on all four goals, three of them away from the old ball and chain. (February 4, 2017)
- Chasing History: Monahan on Cusp of Being Youngest Flame to Score 100 Goals - Whether or not Sean Monahan is an 'elite' centre is up for debate, but as you'll see, what he's done and his numbers so far certainly makes for a compelling argument. (February 2, 2017)
- FF80F Podcast: Loubo Joins in for Some All-Star Break Flames Chatter - Flames radio colour commentator Peter Loubardias stopped by to share his thoughts on Glen Gulutzan. Other topics included the slumps for Johnny Gaudreau and Sam Bennett. (January 30, 2017)
- Unveiling the 50 Greatest Players in Calgary Flames History - The NHL released its list of the 100 greatest players so I figured I'd go through a similar exercise for Calgary. Only I took it one step further and actually ranked them like the league should have. (January 28, 2017)