After a three-month hiatus that was far too long, the podcast is back as Aaron Vickers stopped by to chat about the upcoming 2017 NHL Draft.
Frequently spotted hanging around the Saddledome, Vickers wears a couple of hats. He covers the Flames for NHL.com. More pertinent to this podcast, he is also the longtime managing editor of Future Considerations, which is a popular draft publication that scouts, profiles and ranks draft-eligible players.
In fact, listen to the podcast and you will get 20 percent off your purchase of the 2017 Future Considerations Draft Guide.
Episode 14 - June 19, 2017 (83:07 running time)
Listen Now via SoundCloud
0:00 - Segment 1 - Introduction
- Aaron's background
- Glimpse into his recent trip to France/Germany to cover the World Championships
7:42 - Segment 2 - Draft Overview
- Origin of Future Considerations
- How the scouting staff pulls the guide together
- Assessing the quality of 2017 Draft and what are its nuances
- Notable family ties in this year's draft
- Going down the list of top kids and how might the draft unfold
- Identifying some names to watch for, who might move up or fall
40:44 - Segment 4 - Revisiting Flames Recent Draft History
- Revisiting Brad Treliving's first three drafts as Flames GM
- Calgary's situation heading into the 2017 draft
53:44 - Segment 5 - Talking Calgary specific
- Discussing possible Flames targets at pick No. 16
- Assessing the Curtis Lazar and Michael Stone trades
- Late round targets and how to best approach late picks
71:35 - Segment 6 - Listener Q&A
- Answering questions submitted to Facebook
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream it from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who have warehouse jobs and listen to them at work. There are endless possibilities.
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new Calgary stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues I enjoyed and I'll also sometimes use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Examining the Smith Trade: Eight Points to Ponder Before Passing Final Judgment - There was much anger when the Mike Smith trade was announced, but was it warranted? Upon sober second thought, one could argue the Smith deal was the ideal move. (June 17, 2017)
- Protection List Priorities: Hurt Feelings Should be the Least of Treliving's Concerns - Hockey is a business and it needs to be operated that way. Last year Troy Brouwer took advantage with a big pay day. Now it's time he's exposed to the other side. (June 17, 2017)
- Expansion Draft: Bargain-Seeking NHL GMs about to hit the Las Vegas Outlet Mall - Debunking the myth that it's better trade a player prior to expansion draft than lose a player to Vegas 'for nothing'. As I explain, expect way more trades post-expansion draft. (June 7, 2017)
- 2017 NHL Draft: One Pick in First Three Rounds Would be a Flames' Franchise First - In this look at the draft from a Calgary perspective, I examine how realistic it is that GM Brad Treliving can acquire some additional picks given he has only five selections. (May 23, 2017)
- Expansion Draft: Six Strategies Available to Vegas and Potential Impact on the Flames - Golden Knights GM George McPhee gets to pick 30 players in the expansion draft but there could be a method to the madness of who he picks and why. (May 19, 2017)