Flames development has come and gone for another year and to put the final wraps on that as well as take inventory of Calgary's prospect cupboard, Sportsnet960's Rob Kerr joined me as my guest.
Looking for a little hockey talk to get you through the summer? Why settle for a little when you can have a lot.
Episode 15 - July 16, 2017 (1:25:10 running time)
No better cure for the Calgary Stampede Sunday hangover than a new #Flames podcast. Grab a glass of water and enjoy. https://t.co/L4hFdsS9xC— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) July 16, 2017
0:00 - Segment 1 - Introduction
- What it's like for beer league players to play alongside old NHL players.
- Story behind the video below (funny cameo from Peter Maher, and no, it's not me in the thong)
- Rock Me I'm a Dentist and Race a Little Elf on Good Rockin' tonight!
13:32 - Segment 2 - Emile Poirier
- On the first round pick's return, which was the feel-good story of the camp.
- It is possible for Poirier to break camp with the team?
- Brian McGrattan's involvement and what his future might hold.
- Spencer Foo, what he is and if/when he'll arrive.
- Andrew Mangiapane, Matthew Phillips and can their skill overcome their size
- The prospect that might hold the keys to Sam Bennett's future.
48:46 - Segment 4 - A look at the Defence
- How far away is Adam Fox and how good could he be?
- Mistake prone yet young and talented. What to make of Oliver Kylington.
- Anecdotes and thoughts on the many others in the blue-line queue.
1:00:00 - Segment 5 - A look at the Goaltenders
- Tyler Parsons' rapid rise and why he's so coveted.
- Some interesting things-that-make-you-go-hmm splits from Mason McDonald
- Where does everyone play in 2017-18?
107:32 - Segment 6 - Listener Q&A
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream them from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or take it with you while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who have warehouse jobs and listen to them at work. There are endless possibilities.
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
If you have any other comments or questions, let me know directly, I'd love to get an email from you.
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues that I've enjoyed and I'll occasionally use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Back-to-Back Victories: First, for Ferland the Person, Now for Ferland the Player - If you go back to where Micheal Ferland's career was at five years ago, you have to commend him for what he's achieved in going from a troubled alcoholic to a top line winger. (July 14, 2017)
- Magnificent Seven: Sigalet Weighs in on Cast of Puck Stoppers Under His Watch - Great insight from goalie coach Jordan Sigalet on how to work with a vet like Mike Smith, how he plans to get Eddie Lack back on track. Some great stuff on the prospects too. (July 12, 2017)
- Flames Development Camp 2017: Eight Takeaways From the Scrimmage - If you missed the scrimmage, I've got you covered. How did Poirier look? I've got quotes from the coach, GM and Poirier himself. Foo and his sick move, Kylington, Dube. Lots here. (July 9, 2017)
- Taste of Italy: Mangiapane Serving up Goals, Assists and a Delicious Chicken Parm - Sweet dangle. Saucer pass. Top-shelf snipe. Andrew Mangiapane displayed some soft mitts in racking up 20 goals as a rookie. Seems he's good with the oven mitts too. (July 7, 2017)
- Fresh Start: Poirier Focused on Future After Battle with the Bottle - He lived in denial for two years and with on-ice performance suffering greatly, he decided he couldn't do it any more. In February, Emile Poirier called Brad Treliving and asked for help. (July 5, 2017)