As the barrage of off-season moves finally slow down, PostMedia's Kristen Odland stopped by for some hockey talk. Among the topics discussed, we looked back at what's unfolded so far, looked forward to training camp and we also contemplated what could go wrong.
Portable bluetooth speakers were meant for summer hockey podcasts. Grab yourself a cold drink, roll up the patio umbrella, sit back and enjoy!
Episode 16 - July 29, 2017 (1:26:03 running time)
New #Flames podcast is up. @Kristen_Odland and I looked backwards, forwards and we contemplated what could go wrong. https://t.co/f2o59nKUDB— Darren Haynes (@DarrenWHaynes) July 29, 2017
0:00 - Segment 1 - Introduction
- The impending disappearance of the Kristen Odland byline
- Olympic hockey: Who needs Sidney Crosby when you can have Mason Raymond
- Recalling Canada's near Miracle on Ice
7:50 - Segment 2 - Assessing Brad Treliving's 2017 Off-Season
- Most impactful move
- Shrewdest move
- Biggest head-scratcher
- The battle (or more-so, non-battle) in net
- Who will round out the blueline beyond the top five
- Appears to be three open jobs at forward. Who gets them?
46:44 - Segment 4 - Are the 2017-18 Flames a "contender"?
- Debating the definition of a contender
- If Calgary is a contender, why?
- If the Flames aren't a true contender yet, what needs to happen?
54:09 - Segment 5 - What could go wrong?
- Kristen's three things that could sink Calgary
- Darren counters with his own list of three things
- In particular, the importance of Sam Bennett
1:03:42 - Segment 6 - Listener Q&A
- Answering some of the questions submitted via Facebook.
- Troy Brouwer, Troy Brouwer and more Troy Brouwer
- A great anecdote about almost-a-Flame Anton Stralman
Did You Miss It?
Podcasts from earlier this summer:
- Episode 15 (July 16, 2017) - Reflections on development camp with Rob Kerr
- Episode 14 (June 19, 2016) - 2017 NHL draft edition with Aaron Vickers
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream them from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or take it with you while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who listen to them at work -- a great way to pass the time! There are endless possibilities.
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
If you have any other comments or questions, let me know directly, I'd love to get an email from you.
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues that I've enjoyed and I'll occasionally use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- World Junior Summer Showcase: Six Flames Prospects Ready to Strut Their Stuff - Many of the world's best 18 and 19-year-olds are in Plymouth, Michigan, to begin their quest to make their country's U20 national team for the WJC. Here's my primer. (July 27, 2017)
- Eight From 80 Feet: Eight Thoughts on Recent Happenings in a Busy Off-Season - Lots to talk about including how Giordano and Valimaki contracts perfectly align, Gaudreau's future in Calgary, Hathaway haters, Backlund extension and the 411 on Ollas-Mattsson. (July 22, 2017)
- FF80F Podcast: Episode 15 - Dev Camp Wrap-up and Prospect Talk with Rob Kerr - We recapped development camp with an engaging discussion around both Emile Poirier and Spencer Foo and what's next. Plus, a position-by-position prospect rundown. (July 17, 2017)
- Back-to-Back Victories: First, for Ferland the Person, Now for Ferland the Player - If you go back to where Micheal Ferland's career was at five years ago, you have to commend him for what he's achieved in going from a troubled alcoholic to a top line winger. (July 14, 2017)
- Magnificent Seven: Sigalet Weighs in on Cast of Puck Stoppers Under His Watch - Great insight from goalie coach Jordan Sigalet on how to work with a vet like Mike Smith, how he plans to get Eddie Lack back on track. Some great stuff on the prospects too. (July 12, 2017)