One of my favourite exercises that I do twice a year is compiling a list of the Flames top 20 prospects -- with a handful of honourable mentions sprinkled in.
While the list is available here for you to skim through, I high recommend this podcast as NHL.com's Aaron Vickers joined me and we spent an August afternoon outdoors (prior to the World Junior Summer Showcase, I'll point out), methodically working our way backwards through the list.
Curious about why players are ranked where they are? There's lot of additional detail to be had here.
Episode 17 - August 6, 2017 (1:32:02 running time)
A segment-by-segment breakdown:
- 0:00 - Introduction - Background, definition of prospects, etc.
- 10:57 - Segment 1 - The honourable mentions (and the best of the others)
- 26:09 - Segment 2 - Rankings 15-20
- 37:41 - Segment 3 - Rankings 11-15
- 54:31 - Segment 4 - Rankings 6-10
- 1:09:47 - Segment 5 - Rankings 1-5
- 1:26:50 - Closing - Playing around with future line combinations
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream them from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or take it with you while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who listen to them at work -- a great way to pass the time! There are endless possibilities.
Did You Miss It?
Here are the podcasts from earlier this summer. Run them one after another as a great way to pass the time the next time you're driving from Calgary to Regina. You can only play roadkill travel bingo for so long.
- Episode 16 (July 29, 2017) - Looking ahead to training camp with Kristen Odland
- Episode 15 (July 16, 2017) - Reflections on development camp with Rob Kerr
- Episode 14 (June 19, 2017) - 2017 NHL draft edition with Aaron Vickers
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
If you have any other comments or questions, let me know directly, I'd love to get an email from you.
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues that I've enjoyed and I'll occasionally use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Ranking the Calgary Flames Top 20 Prospects (August 2017 Edition) - The print version of the prospect rankings. At a glance, see which players rising, falling, what their projected ETA is. It's also fun to get in the time machine and re-visit old rankings. (August 7, 2017)
- From Nice-to-Have to Need-to-Have: My Take on Extending Backlund - Mikael Backlund is going to get paid and that new contract should be issued by the Flames. My take on why he's become a critical piece on the club and someone they cannot afford to lose. (August 2, 2017)
- FF80F Podcast: Episode 16 - Offseason Moves, Opening Roster and the What If's - PostMedia's Kristen Odland joined me and did we ever cover some terrain. We assessed the off-season, named the season-opening roster and explored the 'uh-oh' scenarios. (July 30, 2017)
- World Junior Summer Showcase: Six Flames Prospects Ready to Strut Their Stuff - Many of the world's best 18 and 19-year-olds are in Plymouth, Michigan, to begin their quest to make their country's U20 national team for the WJC. Here's my primer. (July 27, 2017)
- Eight From 80 Feet: Eight Thoughts on Recent Happenings in a Busy Off-Season - Lots to talk about including how Giordano and Valimaki contracts perfectly align, Gaudreau's future in Calgary, Hathaway haters, Backlund extension and the 411 on Ollas-Mattsson. (July 22, 2017)