Hockey is getting close now -- Penticton rookie tournament starts on Friday -- and to get you amped up, Flames PostMedia beat writer Wes Gilbertson stopped by Studio 29 for a chat. Wes is around the team all the time and he provides his thoughts on some of the topics of the day.
A segment-by-segment breakdown:
- Explaining 'cut' and why it makes Calgary's new Phil Mickelson golf course unique
- Back to hockey, let's talk about Jaromir Jagr
11:59 - Segment 1 - Reflecting on Glen Gulutzan's rookie season
- Slow start should have been expected
- Putting the 2016-17 season turnaround into historical context
- What has Gulutzan most excited heading into this season
- Gulutzan's 'pick to click' from a hockey pool perspective
On anticipation, expectations, Lazar, Tkachuk, Brodie/Hamonic and more. My less-than-a-month to camp Q&A with #Flames coach Glen Gulutzan... https://t.co/jbWH0cVqZA— Wes Gilbertson (@WesGilbertson) August 18, 2017
39:08 - Segment 3 - Talking Penticton, Part 1
- What makes the Young Stars Classic a great event
- The kind of things that we learn from this tournament
56:52 - Segment 4 - Talking Penticton, Part 2
- Which prospects should fans be watching
- What are the storylines at this year's tournament
1:11:32 - Segment 5 - Listener Q&A
- Answering listener questions submitted to this Facebook posting
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream them from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or take it with you while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who listen to them at work -- a great way to pass the time! There are endless possibilities.
Did You Miss It?
Here are the podcasts from earlier this summer. Run them one after another as a great way to pass the time the next time you're driving from Calgary to Regina. You can only play roadkill travel bingo for so long.
- Episode 18 (August 20, 2017) - Flames vs. Oilers, camp preview with Jermain Franklin
- Episode 17 (August 6, 2017) - Unveiling the top 20 prospects with Aaron Vickers
- Episode 16 (July 29, 2017) - Looking ahead to training camp with Kristen Odland
- Episode 15 (July 16, 2017) - Reflections on development camp with Rob Kerr
- Episode 14 (June 19, 2017) - 2017 NHL draft edition with Aaron Vickers
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
If you have any other comments or questions, let me know directly, I'd love to get an email from you.
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues that I've enjoyed and I'll occasionally use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- September: It's a Great Month for Hockey - It's one of the greatest flipping of the calendars that goes on in the year as hockey makes its triumphant return. Adding to that is this is very much the time of optimism for all fan bases, but especially in Calgary. (September 1, 2018)
- Jaromir Jagr: Don't Ask Why, Only Why Not - Could it actually happen? Could the future hall-of-famer sign in Calgary? While I remain skeptical, they've got the money to pay him and a position to play him. As I explain, there's reason to believe it could work. (August 23, 2017)
- FF80F Podcast: Episode 18 - Flames-Oilers, Key Players, Camp Storylines, New Lines - Had a great time on this podcast as TSN's Jermain Franklin stopped by and we tackled a whole range of topics. A great listen in the summer to get you fired up for hockey. (August 20, 2017)
- Diary of a Harvard Kid: Eight Things to Consider Before Fretting Over Fox's Future - Three years away from when NCAA hotshot defenceman Adam Fox could be become a UFA, I provide some additional perspective on why it's way too early for paranoia. (August 13, 2017)
- From Nice-to-Have to Need-to-Have: My Take on Extending Backlund - Mikael Backlund is going to get paid and that new contract should be issued by the Flames. My take on why he's become a critical piece on the club and someone they cannot afford to lose. (August 2, 2017)