Hockey is getting close now -- Penticton rookie tournament starts on Friday -- and to get you amped up, Flames PostMedia beat writer Wes Gilbertson stopped by Studio 29 for a chat. Wes is around the team all the time and he provides his thoughts on some of the topics of the day.
A segment-by-segment breakdown:
- 'Nerdy' Pat talks about his fake radio show as a kid and how he got into the biz
- Podcast for hire! Are you interested in sponsoring the podcast/website and building up some exposure for your business? Contact me.
- Now that Jagr has arrived, where does he slot and why
- How might the lines evolve for the better over the season
- Thoughts on goaltending and what might unfold
- Season expectations for the Flames
- Points for Bennett, games for Jankowski
- Gaudreau's finish in scoring race, healthy scratches for Brouwer
58:02 - Segment 4 - What-if Injury Scenarios
- How might the roster evolve with losses at various positions
- What if Giordano gets hurt? What about Hamonic? Smith?
1:09:25 - Segment 5 - Listener Q&A
- Answering listener questions submitted to this Facebook posting
One popular question I get from newbies in the podcast world is when do people listen to podcasts? Well, if you have BlueTooth in your car as I do, I'll stream them from my phone onto my car stereo and listen as a I run around town doing errands, etc.
If you're travelling, download it to your iPod and listen on the flight. Or take it with you while you go and walk the dogs. I have heard from people who listen to them at work -- a great way to pass the time! There are endless possibilities.
Did You Miss It?
Here are the podcasts from earlier this summer. Run them one after another as a great way to pass the time the next time you're driving from Calgary to Regina. You can only play roadkill travel bingo for so long.
- Episode 19 (September 4, 2017) - Talking Gulutzan and Penticton with Wes Gilbertson
- Episode 18 (August 20, 2017) - Flames vs. Oilers, camp preview with Jermain Franklin
- Episode 17 (August 6, 2017) - Unveiling the top 20 prospects with Aaron Vickers
- Episode 16 (July 29, 2017) - Looking ahead to training camp with Kristen Odland
- Episode 15 (July 16, 2017) - Reflections on development camp with Rob Kerr
Rate the Podcast on iTunes
If you have any other comments or questions, let me know directly, I'd love to get an email from you.
Thanks for listening!
By the way, have you liked Flames From 80 Feet on Facebook yet? Do so now! It's another way to be alerted to new stories I've written, other articles from my colleagues that I've enjoyed and I'll occasionally use that space to weigh in on the news of the day.
Recent Flames Reading:
- Don't You Forget About Me: Simple Minds' Song Befits Impactful Night for Lazar - While TJ Brodie and Johnny Gaudreau were the headliners in Saturday's win over Winnipeg with four points each, don't overlook the really nice game by Curtis Lazar. (Oct. 8, 2017)
- It Was Just One Game, People - Flames fans' overreaction game was certainly on point as the Flames 3-0 opening night loss to the Oilers set off widespread panic. Yes, it took one game. Five reasons to relax and not fret, posted via the FF80F facebook page. (Oct. 5, 2017)
- Smart as a Whip, Dumb as a Post: Another Day in a Hockey Market for Brad Treliving - Praise for signing of Jagr came to a screeching halt with announcement that Glass had signed also. Why sign him, wondered fans. Curious myself, I set out to investigate. (Oct. 3, 2017)
- Cuts Like a Knife: Driving Home This Evening, Eight Thoughts as Flames Cut 10 - As the number of players left in camp begins to shrink, time to check in to how things are looking. Oh, and this Bryan Adams song will get lodged in your head. (Sept. 27, 2017)
- Giving it his Best Shot: Jankowski on Target in Quest to Make Opening-Night Line-up - Brandishing a lethal shot, Jankowski scored in each of his first three pre-season games as he gives it his best shot -- literally and figuratively -- at making the NHL. (Sept. 24, 2017)